Source: Bureau of Meteorology

For people in parts of Kimberley and North Interior districts.

Issued at 10:50 am Monday, 2 March 2020.

Wet and windy conditions associated with ex-Tropical Cyclone Esther.

At 8:00am WST Monday the centre of ex-Tropical Cyclone Esther was located about 120km southwest of Halls Creek, moving towards the east at around 11 km/h. This general motion is expected to continue during the next day or two, and the low will cross into the Northern Territory late tonight or early Tuesday morning. Squally thunderstorms and heavy rainfall will continue, particularly close to the centre of the tropical low.

HEAVY RAINFALL which may lead to FLASH FLOODING is possible over the warning area.

Widespread daily rainfall totals of 100 to 200mm are expected, with isolated falls to 300mm possible.

The low may cause DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 35 to 45 km/h with wind gusts potentially reaching 90 km/h, and could cause DAMAGE TO HOMES AND PROPERTY.

Locations which may be affected include Fitzroy Crossing, Halls Creek and Balgo.

Flood Watches and Warnings are current for parts of the Kimberley District. For further details please refer to

In the 24hrs to 9am on Monday morning, Larrawa Airstrip reported 202mm of rainfall, Jubilee Downs reported 185mm and 161mm was reported at Margaret Gorge.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.