Source: Bureau of Meteorology

For people in parts of North Interior and South Interior districts.

Issued at 3:10 am Friday, 4 March 2022.


Weather Situation: At 2 am Friday, Ex-Tropical Cyclone Anika was located in the North Interior District to the southeast of Parnngurr. It is forecast to move slowly to the southeast and gradually weaken on Friday. A band of heavy rainfall extends to the south and southeast of Ex-TC Anika. Heavy rain will continue in this area during Friday, before easing on Friday evening

DAMAGING WIND GUSTS with peak gusts of around 100 km/h are likely near the centre of Ex-TC Anika, which could cause DAMAGE TO HOMES AND PROPERTY over far southern parts of the North Interior and northern parts of the South Interior. The damaging wind gusts are expected to ease by around 5am Friday morning.

HEAVY RAINFALL which is expected to lead to flash flooding is currently occurring in the warning area and is expected to continue on Friday. 24-hour rainfall totals to 9am Friday are likely to be 100 to 200 mm with isolated falls to 250mm possible. HEAVY RAINFALL is expected to ease gradually during Friday afternoon and evening.

Flood watches and warnings are current for the area. See for more information.

Locations which may be affected include Carnegie and Warburton.

Telfer in the eastern Pilbara has recorded 60.6mm of rainfall since 9 am Thursday morning.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.