Source: Bureau of Meteorology

For people in parts of Kimberley, Pilbara and North Interior districts.

Issued at 7:29 am Wednesday, 2 February 2022.

A tropical low lying over the southern Kimberley bringing heavy rainfall to areas south of Broome.

Weather Situation: A slow moving tropical low lies over the border of the Kimberley and Northern Interior. The low will continue to weaken as it slowly tracks westwards during Wednesday and Thursday.

HEAVY RAINFALL that may lead to FLASH FLOODING is possible over the southwest Kimberley, northeast Pilbara and western parts of the North Interior with daily rainfall totals of 50 to 100 mm and isolated heavier falls to 150 mm. Rainfall through the area will ease from Thursday.

While fresh wind gusts remain around the system, damaging wind gusts are no longer expected. The warning for Broome and areas to the north has been CANCELLED.

Locations which may be affected include Bidyadanga, Parnngurr, Sandfire, Shay Gap, Telfer and Wallal Downs.

Flood Watches and Warnings are also current for the Kimberley, please refer to for further details.

People in the north of WA may experience this type of weather each year at this time but heavy rain may cause damage to property and make road conditions hazardous.

Derby has recorded 49.6 mm of rainfall since 9am on Tuesday.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.