Source: Bureau of Meteorology

For people in Pilbara and parts of Gascoyne districts.

Issued at 9:13 am Monday, 1 February 2021.

HEAVY RAINFALL expected over much of the Pilbara and far northern parts of the Gascoyne as a tropical low moves west and possibly develops into a tropical cyclone. Possible DAMAGING WINDS near the Pilbara coast. Please refer to the latest Tropical Cyclone Advice current for coastal parts west of Whim Creek in the Pilbara.

Plan Image
Weather Situation:
As a tropical low moves west over the Pilbara HEAVY RAINFALL is likely over the Pilbara and northern parts of the Gascoyne. DAMAGING WINDS are also possible near the Pilbara coast west of De Grey.

DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 90 km/h are possible near the Pilbara coast between De Grey and Whim Creek.

HEAVY RAINFALL with daily totals between 75mm and 150mm and isolated falls to 200mm are possible through the warning area. Whilst heavy rainfall near the coast will depend on the track of the Tropical Low, persistent thunderstorm activity over southern parts of the warning area may also bring large daily rainfall totals.



Locations which may be affected include Karratha, Newman, Paraburdoo, Port Hedland, Tom Price and Whim Creek.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.