Source: Bureau of Meteorology

For people in parts of Kimberley and North Interior districts.

Issued at 4:47 pm Tuesday, 9 February 2021.

A tropical low is causing heavy rainfall in eastern parts of the Kimberley.

Weather Situation: At 4:00 pm AWST, a tropical low was located about 140 kilometres east-northeast of Halls Creek, moving slowly towards the southwest. The low is expected to continue to track across the southeastern Kimberley during Tuesday night, moving into the North Interior on Wednesday.

HEAVY RAINFALL which may lead to FLASH FLOODING is possible, with daily rainfall totals of 30 to 70 mm and isolated falls in excess of 100 mm.

The system is expected to weaken during Wednesday, however the remnants of the system will continue to fuel intense thunderstorms across the Interior over the following couple of days.

Flood Watches and Warnings are current for river catchments across the Kimberley. Please refer to for further details.

Locations which may be affected include Halls Creek, Balgo, Lake Argyle and Warmun.

People in the Kimberley may experience this type of weather each year at this time but rain may cause damage to property and make road conditions hazardous.

In the 24 hours to 9:00 am Tuesday, Mistake Creek Homestead recorded 71 mm of rain and Old Ord Homestead recorded 63 mm of rain. Since 9:00 Tuesday, Halls Creek Airport has recorded 46 mm of rain.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.